Dad's Mixer Love-Affair :D :D

How many of us have this fascination with the old stuff lying around in the house?

Like I had this pair of shorts that I never gave up on...I loved them...Mom nagged me so much to give up on them...but I never did...and finally, while I was away on a business trip, mom cut it all into pieces :P :P and it was gone. I was so upset about it :|

The current special old-stuff association I know of around me is : Dad and THAT mixer...the 20+ yrs old mixer-grinder :D 

Whenever it is used in the kitchen, it feels that the ladi-bomb we burn in Diwali time is ON! :D :D LOL!! Dad still loves the mixer.

It has given up so many times...but Dad never gave up on it. THIS mixer is famous in the Electronics/Electrical Repair shops around the house :D :D I call it Baba-Adam ke zamaane ki mixer.

I donno what sentiments Dad associate with this mixer... He never just lets it go.

Finally, our prayers were answered last week, the noisy n good-for-nothing mixer had a stroke :D :D It stopped working... The look on mom's face was the look of victory... when the repair-guy said " Saheb! ab iska samay poora ho gaya".. LOL!! We even did a secret jig in the kitchen :P :P

Dad could not believe it...I saw him sulking in his chair... and we all rejoiced, ran to the cupboards and inaugrated the NEW food processor we were waiting to use ;) Dad got up from his chair and carried his OLD mixer along...

I know it was difficult for him to accept it. We had a golgappas party :D :D ...

*sigh* but within 3 hours, Dad was back with the now-working Oldie Mixer. I should name it AK Hangal Mixer :P It never gives up, by gawd! :D :D :D

So all the loud noise is back... :| If the mixer is ON, the neighborhood knows and Dad flashes his proud smile :D :D He is a happy man... 

In his words - he can divorce his wife, leave his kids...but the mixer will stay ON! :D :D

But the mixer ka raaz is still a raaz... :P :P

23 comments:

ki April 13, 2010 at 9:08 AM  

Chalo happy post hai finally :D :D :D

we have an OLD dvd. Itna old ki movies bhi nahi chalti. But rakha hua hai cos of daddy dearest! :D

Anonymous,  April 13, 2010 at 10:05 AM  

Emotions And that is life.

Aevi April 13, 2010 at 10:14 AM  

huh something just got nuked..?

Ramit Grover April 13, 2010 at 10:44 AM  

You just stole the words right out of my girl's mouth!

I have these really old pj's. And they are really old and tattered but I don't let them go. She always looks for a chance to get rid of them, but I managed to save them anyways! :D

Come to think of my parents house, everything there is antique! He even has a 40 year old car that he doesn't let go! It just stands there on the corner of the driveway and he doesn't even move it at all! For crying out loud the car has been there for ages and ages!

Well, er... I have a '67 Ambi too! Hehe!

Nidz April 13, 2010 at 11:43 AM  

old stuff doesnt spoil easily..
yes every one of us have this thing with old stuff . i dont throw my old clothes weather it fits or nt

Thousif Raza April 13, 2010 at 1:17 PM  

wow... glad to see you are haveing fun...a dn your da too for that matter... wish the mixer a nice second life....make a facebook page for it ya.... lets ee kitne fans hote hai... the undead mixer ke :P....


take care and keep writing..........

Suruchi April 13, 2010 at 1:22 PM  

Hey Harshita...
So sweet of your dad to hold on to such a thing!
Speaks volume of his character n beliefs!
When we refuse to give up on something, it is not that we are blinded to its follies...just that somewhere we feel a sense of inadequacy without it...or have great memories attached to it!

Scratch the surface with your dad...maybe there’s a cute little emotion or story out there waiting to be told!

Rià April 13, 2010 at 4:21 PM  

lol!!seriously, there's always something that we dont want to give up. I have clothes which i have been wearing from the past 8 yrs or so....but then i jus love the comfort factor of them so cant give them up! :P

Mads April 13, 2010 at 5:02 PM  

huggie to ur dad :D cute che :D :D
my dad is boring..even if something can be repaired he will throw it and get a new one :(

and i totally understand abt shorts :-w
my parents want me to throw my dolls, can u imagine? :O :(

Americanising Desi April 13, 2010 at 8:37 PM  

awwww your dad is one of a kind :) eheheh

Sakshi April 13, 2010 at 10:33 PM  

Awwww, I have my old stuff toys, some of em from the time I was a new born, which I never even let my own sis use when she was a kid.. my poor mom has tried to make me charitable about em but no avail.
And then there are birthday decorations, saved from my first birthday party that are intact, have been re used in all my birthday parties, but still there.
Its a silly thing to hold onto things that are so old... but then, these things have given you memories to always cherish.

Anwesa April 13, 2010 at 10:39 PM  

Apna ghar bhi kuch aisa hi hey. When my Mom decided to buy new furniture,Dad relented. But he still (at times) says "That old set was so sturdy."

And we-the ladies in the house- supress our smiles :)

Arpit April 14, 2010 at 2:02 AM  

Ha Ha.. :D
God Bless Mixer.. :)

peter April 15, 2010 at 1:32 AM  

I like Kachra at my place too ;)
specially my old tattered Denims ..In fact i curtail 'em to make Capris and then to shorts (but no not an underwear, in case u started thinking that):P

happens :)

Aditya Nandode April 15, 2010 at 8:12 PM  

WoW! I have a shirt, that if i wear, people will think i have gone crazy, or have become fan of Govinda at wits end! But i have not thrown it out, nor will i ever do so!

Kedar April 17, 2010 at 8:15 AM  

"Emotional attachment..." aah... that is the most pure-form of relationship... whether its with some person or an inanimate thing...

Aditi..............:) April 17, 2010 at 9:56 AM  

I can so damn relate to this post babe....my Dad had the same kind of attachement with his car :P We literally feel he can spend a fotune on her, even though its not even drivable (if thats a word) :P

Sneha Shrivastava April 17, 2010 at 1:38 PM  

just like you mentioned my mom too has a special liking for her ancient 'Sumit' mixer. and she would not give it away for the best food processors. probably stuff like these are their old companions from the times they started building their
life after marriage.:)

Mahul Bhattacharya April 17, 2010 at 10:33 PM  

I like ur blog, I like the mature sensitivity in ur words.

Dunno if I will ever come back (now that doesnt mean I won't, it just means that I might forget to), I think I would rather show some appreciation.

Richa April 22, 2010 at 10:20 PM  

Imagine the commitment of a man he has for his mixer.. i can seriously imagine what degree of commitment would he have for living people and his relatives :)

Unknown May 9, 2010 at 11:23 PM  

Well some people do have weird choices,...nice post......:)

Phoenix June 12, 2010 at 8:02 PM  

hahahah :D you made my evening! :) still rolling on the floor!

U can call me your attorney June 28, 2010 at 5:14 PM  

same is the case with my shorts..ghis chuki hai,rang udh chuka hai,elastic nahi hai,nada lagana pada...bt m nt willing to give it up..i got it with me to bbay as well...!! :P

mixer thing is justified..!! it wud hv costed him good deal when bought..so i cn truly understand!!

Post a Comment

  © NOME DO SEU BLOG

Design by Emporium Digital