The Big Fat Punjabi Wedding!!

Here comes the months of Jan and Feb, the marriage months....we have one or the other person inviting us for weddings these days...Mom has a friend's daugher's wedding, Dad has a friend's cousin's marriage, Bhai has a fren's marriage...and then my best friend also had his wedding this January-end...Actually, he happens to be my cousin bro too...but we met at my dad's cousin's marriage...and we struck a gud friendship eversince..later we realised we are cousins...mmm...that makes me wonder we so busy with our lives these days that we hardly realise that sometimes the people we come across in the crowd are somehow related to us... :) Anyways, thankfully for us we realised it pretty soon. So it was Veerji's wedding( thts how we refer to our bros in punjabi), and that means a month-long celebration for us...from the simple ceremonies....to cocktails to mehandi to sangeets...and all the glitter and music...and dance... The best part of the Punjabi n especially Delhi-winter weddings is the way women get dressed and well these days men are competing too....As Nanoo puts it in Pyar ke Side Effects, dilli ki ladkiyon ko sardi hi nahi lagti...ha ha...so for the cocktail which was 2 days before the wedding...I decided to wear my newly-bought blue churidaar combo...but if some day my plans stat faling into place..it means God is on leave...coz they never do...This blue dress of mine was very tastefully designed by me and with equal taste was spoilt by the boutique ppl....so I had to settle for a casual orange n mahroon combo...it was too chilly...but I could see the women dressed in cuts n sleeves.....well watever but they sent the temperature soaring for sure...and then it was time for some drink and dance...well the whisky and vodka was flowing...and people were drumming them in....we danced to the freaky punjabi numbers...and then settled for some hot coffee....while seated in the hall I realised a female was heavily drunk and was dancing to Kajra rey...doing a full fledged performance in the hall running from table to table...I thought some freak....and then rubbed my eyes and wat did I see....a distant cousin of my cousin....she was terribly out of her senses...but then thats wat cocktails are meant for... Amidst all the backless dresses...and corsets...and sexy sarees...there was this auntiji dressed for the winters...she was typically complaining abt the food and ambience and ppl...we have such ppl in all our weddings...the critics as they say...its fun to hear them point out all the negatives...sumtimes... So with the uncles and bhai log swaying to the punjabi numbers..and with auntijis and bhabhis giving them company it was a fun-filled night...I wonder wat about the bride n groom who r cornered at times amidst all tht....but my veerji was having loads of fun....he loves to host cocktails... To pull my younger bhai out of the dancing crowd so tht we can go home... I braved the crowd and went ahead...sooner someone held my hand and I did not realise who..until he turned me around as you do in Tango..and pulled me(read ME: the huge me) for the tango....Poor guy shud i say..well naah! poor me he was out of his mind I m sure..and then he kept on dancing with me...and if that was not enuff Veerji joined us....followed bhai....ha ha...wat a mad family....somehow I managed to pull-out of their dancing madness....I was suffocated...and before I could step out of the mad crowd that it was turning into...some other cousin of mine pulled me in for a dance....grrrrrrrrr.....I was like...do hell with you...Dad's gonna kill me if I let him wait for another second in the chill for us...Ha ha...that was indeed funny....when I luk back to it... I donno how my bhai reached the parking...I almost ran my way to the parking hiding my face( the funniest of all: ha ha...Me trying to hide...)anyways!!....we finally chatted our way back home in the car abt who came n who did not and I was wondering Begaani Shaadi Mein Abdullah Deewana!! :) More to come in this section....Mehandi and Shaadi... ;)

2 comments:

I May 21, 2008 at 3:35 PM  

hey hi....i read almost all your posts today (got the link frm megha, its her status message on gtalk..:))...a real neat blog wid sume real nice posts, the ones about mansoon, jab we met, Gulzar saab...too gud...:)..
keep posting!!

cheers
Deepti

Sinner May 23, 2008 at 1:23 PM  

Megha is making me famous ;)

Post a Comment

  © NOME DO SEU BLOG

Design by Emporium Digital