Doesn't matter if you are black or white....


I am a lil worried about one of our blogger frenz, it seems her parents took her cellphone away and she is not able to keep in touch with all of us. I saw tweets from her where she is contemplating coming out to her folks about her being gay. I donno how they will take it but I really pray that they accept her as who she is and not try to force her to change herself coz frankly she can't.

This brought about a conversation with Mads. We were discussing how if these prejudices were not there in our society, things would have been better.

We judge people on the basis of their complexion (yawns! I don't need to mention matrimony ads again), if they are fat or slim, if they are gay or straight, if they have a stable job or not, a steady income or not... and the list goes on.

Imagine a world without all these prejudices... I think this concept of imperfections would die out soon.

May be coz I am fat I have this line of thought, but I seriously feel that when you are friends with someone or even if you are in a relationship, then the PERSON matters and not the way they look. We keep judging and comparing people on the basis of ... 'yeh kaala, woh gora... yeh mota hain.. woh bahut patlaa hain, OMG! yeh gay hain...etc.'

We need to break away from all this crap and look beyond. Let us look beyond all this. I have friends who are gay and I don't think they expect me to treat thim differently, we hang out the way we do with straight friends.

Does it really matter that a person who stands by you in your time of need is dark or fair?? *shrugs* When we all know that at the end of it all , what matters is the soul of a person and not the skin, beauty, sexuality, money... then why do we still measure people against these parameters?

I am NO saint. I won't say I AM... that would be lying.... If I don't say it, it goes in my mind and I hate this thought-process. In such moments, I ask myself, what would it be like, if I ever her/him and the faintest hint of prejudice that exists diminishes completely.

We have read it too many times, we tell people the same thing so many times, let us practice it for once. Let people be who they are. Let us not judge them for how they look, what they earn or what sexuality they have coz deep inside there is a person who needs the same loves as we do, has the same potential and at times greater than what we have...


Give people a chance.. Give yourself a chance to be good. Give life a chance yaar :)

26 comments:

Anonymous,  March 30, 2010 at 7:33 AM  

But again we judge them by other parameters And i.e., vibes. If vibes are connecting we connect otherwise we don't or little. Correct?

Ramit Grover March 30, 2010 at 8:42 AM  

It's human nature Harshita. What you long for is utopia, and we all know that does not exist.

Looking at this post from a perspective closer to home, that is living in India, one day we might be able to get over all the biases you've listed out, save one.

How much a person earns. That's never happening!

Good post by the way, I wish your friend all the luck!

Maya March 30, 2010 at 9:05 AM  

do u realy think its possible to come out of these prejudices,, i dont think its possible..

ki March 30, 2010 at 9:16 AM  

Best of luck to your friend. :)

And I agree with you and mads. No point sitting and saying 'oh, it isn't possible.' If a few of us start thinking differently, things may start changing.. :)

Harini March 30, 2010 at 11:25 AM  

I agree with what you just said. And you said, I m no saint either. I myself sometimes let the prejudice affect me but then again i try to jump out of it and judge a person for his character and nothing else. We dont judge our friends and accept them but when it comes to others we can get prejudiced sometimes.

Rià March 30, 2010 at 11:33 AM  

i jus hope ur friend gets accepted....else she will feel very lonely....it feels really sad when ur family doesnt understand u!

I cant help 2nd what u hav said in this post....but i guess there will never be a world free from all these biases. Sad but true...there are only a handful of ppl who think like u and me!

SAHITYIKA March 30, 2010 at 3:33 PM  

Dont know what to say. What i think is it will take time for ppl to accept these kind of things. gud luck for ur frnd.

Richa March 30, 2010 at 4:00 PM  

they ll keep her single and miserable than being in a relationship and happy. sad!

peter March 30, 2010 at 9:35 PM  

That's what the song 'BEAUTIFUL' is all about :)

Sh@s March 31, 2010 at 1:05 AM  

Hope that things work out for ur friend and her parents accept her sexual orientation n not victimize her.

Americanising Desi March 31, 2010 at 9:28 PM  

in humaness all this prevails - some of us are not entirely humans and hence the displeasure and expression!

LORD HELP!

Me April 3, 2010 at 3:56 AM  

@Hobo
I think vibes funda is more of a mutual connection n things and not a personality trait..nahi?

Me April 3, 2010 at 3:56 AM  

@Ramit
I know...par atleast hum log jo isey padd rahey hain..can try naa...

I also try thoda bahut...but sometimes I do fail...it's the way we are programmed I guess.

Me April 3, 2010 at 3:56 AM  

@Uncommon Sense
Well for me... it is... I try as much as I can.

Me April 3, 2010 at 3:56 AM  

@Ki
Thanks Ki :)

Yeah! we can start the change if we look inside.

Me April 3, 2010 at 3:57 AM  

@Harini
Yes...we are.. but I wonder if I will do it...my kids will also learn the same..I wud want them to look beyond color, sex and physical appearance of a person.

Me April 3, 2010 at 3:57 AM  

@Ria
Yes. I also hope for the same.
World cannot cease to be prejudiced..but we can try.

Me April 3, 2010 at 3:57 AM  

@Sahityika
Congrats baby! :) :)
Thanks.

Me April 3, 2010 at 3:57 AM  

@Richa
I fear the same :|

Me April 3, 2010 at 3:58 AM  

@Shas
Yeah! lets hope..she has decided not to come out for now.

Me April 3, 2010 at 3:58 AM  

@Americanising Desi
Yes.

♪♪Happy Go Lucky♪♪ April 4, 2010 at 12:40 PM  

Thats just so true di.. i'm real fat too and once in a while i just don't get what everyones problem is.. but the other serious stuff you've listed, it would be so much better if we could overcome all of that :)

Dr. Acula April 6, 2010 at 3:02 AM  

You've said it all. :) Couldn't have been said better! :)

BTW, I like your dp. :D cuuute!

Shalini April 9, 2010 at 6:26 PM  

WE THE PEOPLE cannot live without criticizing others. If we start living without it...most of the time would be spent being good and nice. OH NO!!! We have to constantly remind ourselves that we are humans right??
;)

Mads April 13, 2010 at 5:03 PM  

Really nice post..one of ur best ones :)

Post a Comment

  © NOME DO SEU BLOG

Design by Emporium Digital