WANTED : A bride with no brains ;)

The marriage season is in the offing...and the number of proposals coming in are increasing now. My cousin is also an engineer like me currently pursuing her MBA. She is a bright person & has won many awards for her contribution in technical as well as social events. Has been globe-trotting like all of us IT people and earns pretty well. She is smart, intelligent, has a great sense of humor and is a great person to be with. She is someone who believes in her dreams and has a bright future ahead(is what everyone says). In a way me and her think on the same lines so I can identify with her easily. She is 3 yrs older than me and her parents have been groom-searching for past 2 yrs. She forwarded me some mails just to let me know what I can expect in future and I found these mails interesting. Full of hypocrisy and double-standards. My most favourite picks are here : ABC, being highly focused,ambitious and hard working person. He keeps on travelling abroad (Just to mention, during last year itself, he has travelled about 7-8 times to different countries). Thus, we are looking in his better half, an understanding - that binds them together in unison towards a long lasting, blissful life. We would like his better half to have similar understanding. The girl should be professionally qualified however we would not like her to continue work after marriage for compatible & delightful life.She should not consume non-veg food (including egg). We would only consider the match if the KUNDLIS match.His brother is a Project Mgr in a MNC and sister-in-law is also a Home maker (B.Tech, MBA) and has quit work after marriage. XYZ, is an ambitious and diligent person with moderna values. We are a family of liberal ideas. He travels a lot for work to foreign countries. We are looking for a fair,slim,beautiful and traditional girl who is professionally qualified (preferably BE or MBA).Please contact us with her details including her current weight,her latest photograph and any special acheivements. We also like to mention that our Panditji's decision will be the final decision. Since we are a financially secure family, we do not want the girl to work after marriage so she can devote herself more towards the family and travel with her husband when he is on business trips. Kindly contact us with her BHP. Thanks for your mail. The boy in question is working as a Senior Engineer in a top MNC and holds modern values. He is a god-fearing, handsome and career-oriented person. We are looking for a homely and professionaly qualified girl. She should be fair,slim,beautiful and respect elders. If currently working,she should discontinue work after marriage to ensure a harmonious family life. Please contact us with her current photo and other details. Amazing people! Some people call her parents with marriage proposals but once they get to know that she spent a year in US and keeps travelling, they kinda ask them how can they send their daughter to such a place for so long...ha ha I love these people...they boast of their sons when they travel abroad and they have different rules for the women of the house. Surprisingly, this is not the first time I heard something like this. One of my frenz at my last workplace also faced quiet a situation when she met up with a guy her parents chose for her. He went on praising her for her intellect and looks for the first two meetings (she wore Indian traditional wear)and when they met for the third time (when she was in a t-chirt and jeans), he asked her, "Will you wear all this after marriage too?"...She told me she was so taken aback when that guy went on with his lecture on how gals shud not wear SUCH clothes... Itz pretty obvious she declined the proposal. I wonder what will happen once my parents resume this groom-search. I am for sure not slim at all, I believe in my dreams and I work towards them. Working or not working would be MY decision. I believe in a marriage two people involved grow,share and adapt together. I can't false-worship someone for sure and there are so many things I have not even thought about...I would do in a marriage... I can't ofcourse nod in approval to my husband if he is wrong...I do have a mind of my own which is sane enuff to think and decide at present ;) Well, watever...but I had a good laugh after reading thru such mails... Some people need to step out and grow-up.

13 comments:

peter September 24, 2008 at 6:48 PM  

sick thinking, low values and unwanted ideologies !!
but u can't blame one or two ..society is full of these ppl, u look for the world and u may find in ur own family or in ur relatives !!

anyways .. I hope u deal nicely with these thngs :P

happy blogging !

peter September 24, 2008 at 6:48 PM  

PLZZ...join this community i made on orkut for 'WE' blogger friends :P

copy the link and paste it on ur browser !

http://www.orkut.co.in/Community.aspx?cmm=50554640&refresh=1

Anonymous,  September 24, 2008 at 9:32 PM  

Two minds, One Soul - Good Marriage
:)

Anonymous,  September 24, 2008 at 11:40 PM  

Hey this is a good blog. You mind if i become a regular here and add you up ?

Rahul Bajpai September 25, 2008 at 1:10 AM  

Hi Harshita,

Long time since i could squeeze some time out to go through your brilliant posts.

Don't you think forced (arrange) marriages are stigma. After 18 we are trusted to select our leaders but not our spouses. Two individual enter a contract (marriage) without understanding each other just because of the reason that their socio-economic status matches and their parents like each other.

This post will remain incomplete until you will post some of the groom hunting ads along side. Read them and you will feel as if only fair tall and slim girls who are highly educated also are looking for grooms, and other either have got one or have lost all hopes to get one :). I have been getting this kind of shit for quite some time now. It has made me averse to the idea of marriage itself, of any kind be it love or arrange. You live together because you are married not because you like to live together. It's no more a comment but vent to deep set frustration. The post is thought provoking indeed, and a good one; keep it up.

TC
R

Riyaa September 25, 2008 at 12:42 PM  

thanks to thier chauvinism/dumbness..whatsoever it is- its gud that these guys have come with it prior the marriage..well there are cases where the guy or his family puts these terms post-marriage..or worst, when the girl bears his child..at the end of the day, i guess its all about our Maktub

btw- great going, ur blogs are damn interesting..me loving it :)

Nidz September 25, 2008 at 2:26 PM  

I hope your parents will not have tough time searching groom for u. My sister is perfect looking and very talented still its been 3 yrs we searching groom for her. it that the guy don’t like her .. it is like my dad doesn’t find any one perfect. Now he cant just give his first daughter just to any one na.

zirelda September 25, 2008 at 8:52 PM  

Oh my oh my oh my.

All I can say is I am sooooo glad we don't have that particular tradition here.

And I will add that I am by far happier being a single parent than I was being married.

Skeeter September 26, 2008 at 1:11 PM  

Yep, Harshita, ads like those should only draw laughing and pointing ... hard to imagine that someone would actually dare to place such an ad. Pity the girl who answers it.

Best wishes,

Skeeter

http://gshanky.wordpress.com October 1, 2008 at 7:20 PM  

its been there and will be there. man have examples to follow. One of the biggest professional success of Indian IT Industry, the great 'Narayana Murthy & Infosys' and role of Sudha Murthy in it

See what Sudha has to say on it "Murty made it very clear that it would either be me or him working at Infosys. Never the two of us together" this is story after their success so she might have manipulated it. not sure what were the exact terms and conditions of being Sudha Murthy-Wife of Mr.Narayana Murthy ;-)

you do a survey among well paid indian married (arranged ;-) ) professional 80% wives are 'Kushal & Adarsh Grahni' taking care of their home while man are out to win the world :D

one world always come in all the definitions of love 'sacrifice' ;-)
but it shouldn't be forced sacrifice 'Do you know the name of Sushma Swaraj's husband name? ;-)

Me October 1, 2008 at 7:39 PM  

Hey Gaurav,

Although I was on a hiatus from the blog coz of work but a nice comment from you made me find time and reply to it :)

First of all Sudha Murthy worked in Telco(is what I read in her interview) and was the first person to go adamant on the gender-bias in the industry. She still works with the Social Foundation in Infosys. I am sure she has something in her.

As for examples,we have many...Kiran Bedi,Indira Gandhi,Barkha Dutt,Shabana Azmi,Saina Nehwal,...n many more whom I personally know... These women are known for their achievements...they have success stories...some made it to newspapers and some did not.

And then my question is : Why does the women sacrifice?? Ahem! Timez changing and so are we...

I think good for men if they accept a woman in this new avatar...coz Women are not all about being "Kushal & Adarsh Grahni" only...they are far more than that. Who can forget the Lijjat Papad revolution in India?? ;)

Yeah I do know Sushma Swaraj's husdand's name, I read about him in the papers... Swaraj Kaushal/Kaushal Swaraj... But if people don't then am sure she has enuff charisma that you tend to forget there is something else beyond her :)

I think high-time, men start noticing that being a MCP does not work anymore... :) The earlier they gets the facts...the better...wat say!! :)

Me October 1, 2008 at 7:48 PM  

Hi Peter, I have joined the community and thanks for the invite :) I agree I have come across many people in my frenz circle and also, in my family who believe in the age-old stuff about non-working women.

Yeah Hobo, aboslutely right :)

Thanks Buzz...

Rahul, I know I should have posted some groom ads but they will follow when some guy in our family starts bride-hunting ;) I love what u said : " You live together because you are married not because you like to live together"...I have met some people who fall in this category too.

Hey Rabiya, Kinda right if they set the expectations straight in the beginning too.

I am not at all interested in this groom-search stuff so far...though I knw I am not going to hurt my folks by announcing it...

True Z, Its gud there is no such tradition in your part of the world.

Hey Skeeter, There are so many ads in the papers who follow the same language... :) And surprisingly people reply back to them too...

Krishna October 2, 2008 at 3:53 PM  

Well..that was some thought. And it was funny too. Bride with no brains. I know there are still such ppl who want kaamwali not gharwali.. And i thought ppl have become more broad-minded in india. But am surprised still there are a lot of those who treat women as second citizens. Too bad!

Post a Comment

  © NOME DO SEU BLOG

Design by Emporium Digital