Khatti Meethi Diwali (Sweet n Sour Diwali)

Diwali, the festival of lights, holds a special place in my heart. I still remember this day as a day of reunion for the family. For past one decade, all of us travel from our respective locations back to home to celebrate this festival.
This year was special as for the first time all our family members were at one place right from the beginning of the preparations for Diwali. We all worked together on everything right from the sweets,lights to the Puja preparations.
I took charge of the decoration at home, Sunny and Money took care of all the outdoor chores like shopping for sweets,firecrackers,gifts and lighting of the house. Honey supervised us. :)
Here are few pics of the diyas and decorative stuff I arranged for.
Me and Money decorated the gates to our house with flowers and diyaas. Thats Dad in the pic.
Here is the rangoli I made with flowers.
Later I added diyaas to it. Another pic shows the firecrackers lit by a cute kid of our neighbour.
The best part is when you get to go to everyone's place to gift them with sweets and other stuff.
Monday was the day we call "Choti Diwali" and me, mom and Chaa (is what I call my Chaachu/Uncle) were assigned the job of delivering gifts at all friends' and relatives' places by my dad. So, mom served me a sandwich before we left by afternoon and started off with the mission.
Herez how the whole day went by for us. We first went to one of our relatives' place and as soon as we entered, they tried attacking us with a huge tray full of sweets,dry-fruits and calories!! uhuh!! Finally I succeeded in convincing one of the Bhabhijis to let me escape with a glass of water. :)
Next stop was Mom's sister's place. OMG, she told us she rented a new place and it was far...but this far...naah! I never expected that...It took us almost 2 hrs and 8 phone calls to make it to her place and when we happened to reach there, it was long walk from the parking to her house. Well, I guess it was not too long but I was dressed in a Black and Gold Jhatak Matak Churidaar that it emabrassed me to walk to her apartment. It was one of those rare days when I leave my cotton Kurtis and Capris behind and wear Traditional Indian Zardozi stuff.
Finally we got to see her new place, it was good for sure but then I was too hungry and thought I would get something to eat...For someone who had a quick bite at 12, it was an urgent need to grab something when the clock shouted,"Itz 6pm". But all I was served there was tea. I am one person whoz pretty shy with people no matter for how long we know each other so I did not bother to ask for food.
We left her place to travel another 2.5 hours to make it to some other destination. I was so damn hungry by the time we reached Chaa's fren's place. Chaa promised me some good chinese food and I was so relieved by then. When we entered his friend's house, we were treated with some Cashews and tea...Naaaaaaah! I shouted inside...I needed food... and the chinese food joint was closed. "Ok, gr8! I am going to eat at Uncle's place then", I told mom. She said,"yeah! no probs. They will serve dinner for us."
We made to our next destination - My Uncle's place by 9 and I expected some hot dinner... but..but.. :( we were treated with a glass of water there and I said no to the tea... I had enuff of it...!! I looked with a sad expression on my face at my mom. She silently asked me if she could ask my aunt for food for me... He he he... I told her "Nopes". Too much for my ego!!
Once in our car we ended up laughing at my plight, I was so damn hungry and there was no single food-outlet open by then on our way back to home... God! by the time I reached my home, all I looked for was food. It was one of those dinners that I really don't relish but I gorged on the food as if it was my favourite dish...It was indeed funny...
But I realized one thing that day- Not everyone is like you. When we have guests at our place, we make sure they have the best of food...and drinks...Me and mom spend half-the-time in the kitchen cooking for guests...and my dad is known in his circles for the way he treats guests... :) I have learnt it from him...That no matter what, you should always treat your guests with the best.
In our house, there were times when we had our share of lows but guests were always welcome and lots of cuisines were offered for supper. :) I love this part of our culture...
But then, it was such a weird day for me...a funny one..he he he... I was almost holding on to my stomach...
The common thing about the people we met was : All Aunti-jis asked me to lose weight and asked my mother, "Aap iski shaadi kab karogey? Bolo weight kamm karey. Aajkal aisi ladkiyon ki shaadi mein bahut problme aati hain.": "When will you get harshita married, ask her to lose weight, these days its really difficult to get gals like her married" and the Uncle-jis would say,"Ji Behnaji, main bhaisaab se yehi kehta hun, beti se boley weight kamm karney ko. Ab hi shaadi ki umar hain" - " I even tell her dad that he shud ask Harshita to lose weight, this is the age to get married".
Frankly, one thing I dread about such visits is THIS. Nobody is bothered abt the festival but my marrriage and my weight. People I hardly know also do the same. I get truly emabrassed. But chalta hain ... am not gonna spoil my diwali coz of all this :) its okay...
The Diwali celebrations next day were rocking!! I love this festival...Although, I am a lil not in favour of firecrackers as am allergic to smoke and it is a pain for the pets too.
Still, I loved every moment of this Diwali :)
Hope you had a great diwali too. :)

9 comments:

peter October 29, 2008 at 8:30 PM  

mast pics ...seems like u had a nice diwali ..

btw u have been awarded ..grab it !

Phoenix October 29, 2008 at 9:13 PM  

awesome pics yaar... you have a great aesthetic sense..... loved the pics...

Nidz October 29, 2008 at 11:11 PM  

hey gal.. wht happened to comment box.. didnt see it todayve made.. btw i to ha rangoli this time. wil paste the pic soon... ur post was funny whn it comes to ur weight thingi.. gheeee...

Sneha Shrivastava October 30, 2008 at 5:24 AM  

Rangoli is looking great.Or logo ka kya kehna rangbirengey log bharey padey hai.:)
Happy Diwali !!
Keep smiling.:)

Arv October 30, 2008 at 8:15 AM  

wow.. I'm glad you had so much fun mate...

this post reminded me of the way we celebrate back home.. they did so on diwali too; just that I was here in the north country with snow :)

Family makes such times special to me :)

take care mate.. cheers...

Skeeter October 30, 2008 at 10:06 AM  

Marriage and weight! Two topics that cause a lot of discomfort.

Best wishes,

Skeeter

zirelda October 30, 2008 at 8:34 PM  

That sounds like a pretty cool festival Harshita.

And doncha hate when they continue to ask when you're going to get married.

It's not nice to comment on weight either. Sigh. A couple of years ago my mother asked me how far along I was. I told her I was not pregnant and she said, "well you look like it."

Honestly!

Me November 1, 2008 at 8:18 PM  

Thanks Peter.. for the award :) I had a gr8 diwali this year...hope u had a nice one too.

Hey Phoenix, thanks... :)

Niddzzi, I donno for some people the embedded comment box thing was not working so I had to do away with it.

Haan Sneha... life hi rang-birangi hain :) Thanks for ur wishes.

I am sure it made you miss home, Arv... :(

Thts so true, Skeeter...am fed up of these terms now.

Hey Z, this one is a really cool festival so I shared the pics with u. Oh! I hate it so much when they keep bothering me abt the marriage thingie...and my weight too...as if I don't care abt my weight n life... ha ha ha...ur mom has a gr8 sense of humor. :)

Aevi November 2, 2008 at 11:22 PM  

happie happie diwali :)

Post a Comment

  © NOME DO SEU BLOG

Design by Emporium Digital