Sufism : The way to God.

A lazy afternoon, I m sipping on some green tea and watching NDTV Imagine : Junoon Kuch Kar Dikhaaney Ka. I am not a great fan of realtiy shows but this one attracted my attention to the most. The only reason I am hooked to this show is coz SUFI is a part of the show's format....I am a huge fan of Sufism... I cheer for the Sufi Genre and they are such a pleasure to listen to. Some of the classic scholars define Sufism as :"a science through which one can know how to travel into the presence of the Divine, purify one’s inner self from filth, and beautify it with a variety of praiseworthy traits." I am no scholar... but for me Sufism is the way to connect to soul and ofcourse divinity... It makes me feel alive... I still wonder what magic music can do to you...!! Wow!! I end up with goosebumps everytime I listen to a Sufi Song or Kalaam as they call it... My current favourite is "Bandya" from "Khuda Ke Liye" and "Saiyaan" from Kailash Kher's album. Its an amazing song and a MUST-listen. But nothing can beat the HEER(Heer is traditionally sung in Punjab) and is a gr8 example of Sufism. Being a Punjabi , HEER is something I have grown up listening to....and being a Singer I still feel it is the most difficult compositions to sing coz of the feelings it involves...the feeling of pain...agony....separation... Reshma ji's voice in the background singing, HEER heer akhdi jogia jhooth bolen kaun vichhrhe yaar milavandaeeve aisa koi na milia main dhoond thakki jehrha gian nu morh leavandaee Heer says, "O monk! you tell lies who can unite seprated lovers i have searched in vain but found none who can bring back the departed"

Beautiful lines...Soulful Lyrics and I dive into another depth of divinity with this song.

With this, I will go to bed now, Doc said I am yet to recover so, I am still waiting for the day to come. Typhoid sucks!!

4 comments:

zirelda August 5, 2008 at 12:29 AM  

I think this is something I would like to know more about.

Glad you're starting to feel better.

Sneha Shrivastava August 5, 2008 at 12:56 AM  

Your piece on Sufism is praiseworthy.
Over the centuries Sufism has drawn some great scholars and saints to its ambit. And it continues to enthrall its audience and followers even today, that is its beauty inherent.

Aevi August 5, 2008 at 11:40 AM  

sufi a long forgotten track for me... Thanks for remindin me n m back into it. I remember my favorites as Abida Begum n Kailash Kher. U wont beleive this Jasbir Jassi is one of a great sufi singer too... he sings tht at some rare occasions...

yeah i had been busy lately :( m glad u r feelin better now.. take care n u'll be fine soon

Sinner August 5, 2008 at 6:29 PM  

Zirelda,
Thanks,I am feeling a lil better now.I will post some links so that you can read more abt this genre of music...it really is mesmerizing.
Sneha,
Thanks for all the praise.Take Care.
Abhi,
Finally, you are back!!
Even I lost touch with Sufism for long and this show has ignited the passion again...I heard Jasbir Jassi once singing Heer but now, will search for more of his Sufi Songs and add them to my playlist.
Thanks for your wishes. I hope to be back in action next week. Lets see... U too take care. :)

Post a Comment

  © NOME DO SEU BLOG

Design by Emporium Digital