Dowry or No Dowry

With the "Accept it" discussion taking its toll on Twinkle, Mom interrupted with her usual " How to find the right guy for my daughter?" stuff. And there started a long discussion about why she has almost given up on me...and that she can never understand that being a gal(that too a 25 yr old Indian gal), I am not ready for marriage.... :( Well, I have no explanations for the same, I just dont feel like getting married right now and she thinks this feeling may not come for next 5 years too and then I will not find the right groom...Ah! the usual Indian-Mom theory... So they(Mom and Twinkle) started the discussion with the marriage stuff and we reached a point which Mom dreads the most....they started discussing abt dowry...and she knows I am so against it.. They made a point that watever parents give as dowry or gifts in their daughter's marriage is for her security and happiness...and my point is I earn enuff to pay my bills, buy myself stuff I want to, donate to charity and invest, then why do they need to pay dowry... When I tell my mom that I will scare away a guy and his family if they ask for dowry...she is like so upset abt it...and the worst is when she insists tht it is their concern and not mine...I have a simple fundaa : I tell her I will run away from the marriage ...lol...(thts the last resort I have). She cant believe that she has a daughter who has ideologies that test her patience most of the times... She is anyways not happy that she is not able to find the right match for me and then when I tell her about my principles, she freaks out. They say, it is a part of our custom that the bride's parents spend some 3 millions on the gold and gifts that are to be given to the in-laws and the family...and well. the marriage arrangements have a separate cost... I have few questions here : 1. Will I wear some diamond-studded sandals/shoes/watever to work after marriage? Nopes, I will not. 2. Will I ever wear the 1 kg of gold, that my mom will give me? Nopes, I hardly wear any jewellery to work or in my daily routine. 3. Will I ever drive the car that she plans to give me? Nopes, I have my own car. 4. Will I ever wear the sarees weighing 2kgs each ? Nopes, the probability is you will find me 6 days a week in a Churidaar or Jeans/cottons. 5. Will I ever respect the guy who drives the car my dad gave, who cant afford simple home furnishing stuff for his house even when I am ready to contribute, whose wardrobe is 70% what he got in dowry...and a guy who lives on the easy money and stuff he got from my dad...?? Nopes, never....I'd rather travel by bus than use that car and I am fine with what I can earn and he can contribute... 6. Will I ever be able to accept the custom of dowry? Nopes...never. In short, I love to live with dignity and I think what matters in a relationship is respect and trust. If am not able to respect the person,m going to spend my rest of life with, its never gonna work for me.... and respect has to be earned as they say...and I think a self-made man deserves all the appreciation and respect in the world... Why live on someone else's mercy when you can make it on ur own? No matter what Mom and Twinkle have to say, I think dowry shud be boycotted and if Mom being a teacher, Dad being a responsible and educated tax-paying citizen and others in the country do not take the step, we will never be able to completely eradicate this bane from the Indian Society... And if not for the society, atleast for my sake they shud not indulge in it....Dad is dead against receiving gifts and so is Mom, I have seen them standing up for it...but why when it comes to their daughter they want to compromise with their principles and endorse dowry.... Mom, Dad : Its not about you taking dowry or not....its abt you giving it too...If you really wanna stand up for it...you shud not give dowry in my marriage...Else Mom, I am gonna run away.... and you knw am serious.... coz I knw your emotional blackmail works wonders for you in such crucial times.. I love you Guys and I wud not need anything apart from your love and blessings in my marriage...thats all... And for the in-laws to-be...if they really need someone else to pay for their life...they better get a life... :) No offences meant to anyone...

7 comments:

Anonymous,  July 10, 2008 at 4:57 PM  

Well ths is another way to present the topic....u hv edited it accordingly n i cant afford ths u knw we had arguments on ur point wen u mentioned an example of urs frnd taking a loan for mariage to buy things n u said ity i feel like warmit on the guy face who is going to marry her... on tht note i started argiung with u tht how come u knw tht guy has demanded n he knws it she is taking loan ....
i said it she will end up buying everythng only for her bcz in todays world girls has many aspiration n wishes wen they become brides n we also discussed hw girls demand inspite of boys to thier parents tht they need blaw blaw.....
i think those who r reading n wen they read my comment they wud certanily agree with me tht all boys all educated( i m tking into consideration) n they dnt ask for dowry n even i hv narrated the incidence of my Banaiya frnd tht how he stood against his father wishes n blackmailed him tht if he will entertain or demand he will ran away n if u remember we all laughed on tht.......

So my point ws tht nobody demands its thier girls n girls parents who gv things -as token of love and parents tooo thinks tht thier daughters r going n they wana gv them everythng so its not fault n being an indian who puts up in ths society they r abide by the customs rituals of society tooo

Here this thier society symbol to gv thnigs bcz they wanted to show off to all n every body tht they hv gvn these things

i too hate dowryy but tht doesnot mean u only make responsible to the boys parents n boy only
so may be thr r Ppl who will not agree with me n here i wud love to see other Ppl comments n wht they think after reading my comment

so guys wake up, boys its ur turn to gv answer....
Anyways thanks sweetyy but "Honesty is best policyyyyy remember"
u have lost tht argument with meeee... thts why u hv edited whole icident....

Sinner July 10, 2008 at 6:14 PM  

Seems you have not read it with full concentration bhai!!
I have clearly mentioned that "Mom, Dad : Its not about you taking dowry or not....its abt you giving it too...If you really wanna stand up for it...you shud not give dowry in my marriage...Else Mom, I am gonna run away.... and you knw am serious.... coz I knw your emotional blackmail works wonders for you in such crucial times.."
And I mean it bhai...
Even that day I said that it is not abt who demands it, it is abt why we give it in the first place...even if the gal demands it for herself or the parenst give it..
I hv mentioned my opinion as in my case...I knw u r right wen u say tht some gals also seek gifts in their marriage to secure their future...
I believe this concept started when women were nt financially independent and thus to secure theri future, parents gave dowry but I dont think there was ant relevance then or there is one now.
Also, for the guys, well, I knw many of them who expect a car,house,home furnishing etc in their marriage frm their in-laws..and tht is more than 50% of us..
I am sure someday things will change and this whole custome will eb abolished...
:) and Bhai,ek baar fir pado and then do post ur comments...

zirelda July 10, 2008 at 7:11 PM  

You have a completely different culture.

We kinda make our own here, but I think (and I absolutely applaud you for standing up for what you believe in) that you are right.

I've been the marriage route and I'm not sure that is for me. And that's ok. I'm happy with my life as it is. I have a companion, I have what I need to live and I have the love of my friends and family. Isn't that what we need for happiness and anything else we add simply icing on the cake?

:)

Anonymous,  July 11, 2008 at 9:24 AM  

My sweet Big Sis....
See Somewhr both r agreing to one common point as at tht time we discussed things with every perspective n i hv also gave my own example but surely n purely frm bottom of my heart i really respect ur emotion n understand too.
But again do u think running from this will help u might be in ur case wht abt other girls now ui ask u how many will stnad against n see the kind of thoughts u hv tht doenot mean everbdy has the same mindset n mental level...
I too stand against dowry but smtime i hv seen boys hv to against thier own wishes bcz of circumstances n external pressure u knw very well abt the kind of person we have in our society n I m not ashamed to say in my family too, Ppl r rigid to makie understand the older generation is another wolrd war dont forget i agree indian literacy rate increased but in todays scernerio too Ppl r so rigid they donot accpet Love Marriages Easily.
Ya society is changing but it will take time.
Again on ur point too running frm ths situation doesnot help u niether other girls
If u want ths then convince ur (would be) to stand with u....

If except runni9ng is thr is another solution i would love to know.......

Hope ths time to i m able to make u understand.

Sinner July 11, 2008 at 3:12 PM  

@Zirelda
In India, it is still pretty tuff to stand up for an issue like this...but yeah! the kind of motivation I got frm u..am gonna hang in there until I convince them...
And I agree u dnt need marriage to be happy...happiness is all abt u...:)
@ twinkle
It seems we will nt agree on this for long but well if ppl dont agree or ppl make rules. I have the right to make the choice...and if I can decide then I'll definitely do what I believe in...

zirelda July 12, 2008 at 11:20 PM  

Good luck. It must be hard to stand against such an ingrained tradition.

SOCH... April 29, 2011 at 7:42 PM  

Gr8 thought... from u and twinkle as well...
Dowry is something which started long back when girl dint hav ny rite in the family property once she was married... so it was like her share of wealth... secondly dis money was considered as a back up for bad times.. but today wen everyone is independent, its high time that we all should say no to this system..

And i hav witnessed weddings like this.. d fact is now the bride and groom are also sharing the cost of the wedding with their parents...
its our generation who has to come out and if one sets an example many will follow... but i wud add, that runnin away is not an answer... if ur parents r giving something, you should talk to the guy to deny it... today v guys do say no with respect.. :P

but i still neva understand y so much of money is wasted for marriages... y cant it be kept simple....

Post a Comment

  © NOME DO SEU BLOG

Design by Emporium Digital